Five SoCal Must-Reads: A Field Guide to One Small City's Pollution Issues | KCET
Five SoCal Must-Reads: A Field Guide to One Small City's Pollution Issues
- Community Recycling, a Kern County composting facility that apparently takes in close to a quarter of the state's compostable waste, has reopened. A judge temporarily put a county shutdown order on hold this week, reports KBAK/KBFX. The facility was closed last month after two worker deaths and a number of issues.
- Maywood, a city southeast of downtown Los Angeles, has been facing pollution problems in its water supply, and community members are taking steps to make change. California Watch has been following the issue and has created A Field Guide to Maywood Pollution Issues.
- Two sobering reports on next steps for the Occupy Wall Street movement: one from KEYT on Occupy Carpinteria in Santa Barbara County and another from KQED's The California Report on Occupy L.A.
- Two San Diego politicians, one who is running for mayor, are looking to have the city more involved in school business. Specifics weren't given, but complete mayoral control is allegedly not one of them, reports the San Diego Union-Tribune.
- Pasadena, like USC officials overseeing the Coliseum, are going to see if the Rose Bowl is feasible for temporarily hosting the NFL when/if a team commits to L.A., according to the Daily News.
Here are a few programs and articles we recommend to help center your Thanksgiving celebration on honoring and amplifying Native stories, seeking truth about our history, and acknowledging Indigenous presence and wisdom.
Here’s where to find five of L.A.’s most scenic bridge crossings — and why they’re fascinating destinations in their own right.
Children whose educations have been disrupted by the pandemic may suffer life-long consequences, including shorter life spans, according to a study released today by the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health.
Many artists find work has dried up due to COVID-19, but it doesn’t mean you have to stop working entirely. Several artists and people who work with artists share their best tips on things to do when work is slow.
- 1 of 398
- next ›