Five SoCal Must-Reads: Occupy Santa Barbara Files Injunction & More | KCET
Five SoCal Must-Reads: Occupy Santa Barbara Files Injunction & More
- Each morning thousands of farmworkers cross the border into Imperial County during the farming season, but getting across in a timely manner can be difficult, forcing many to start their day at 1:30 a.m., according to the Imperial Valley Press, which over the weekend printed a trio of border stories (the other two found here and here).
- Evidence to be presented this week by Scripps scientists will show how "pollution from central Asia affects the intensity of winter storms in California's Sierra Nevada," a source that quenches the thirst of many Southern California cities. Gary Robbins at Science Quest reports.
- Like Occupy L.A., protestors of the same movement in Santa Barbara have filed an injunction against police, according to the Santa Barbara Independent.
- Newport Beach's Balboa Island is just one of the many California coastal areas where aging sea walls are too low for expected rising sea level, but just protecting this tiny island would cost an estimated $60 million, reports the LA Times. Replacing all of the Orange County city's walls could hit nearly $500 million.
- The murder rates are down in San Bernardino and Riverside counties, says The Press-Enterprise, which notes that "Riverside County was second only to Los Angeles County in death sentences for convicted killers in 2010. The two counties together accounted for more than half of California's death sentences last year."
Like KCET News on Facebook here.
The Channel Islands are one of the least visited national parks and home to the fastest recovery effort of a mammal on the endangered species list in U.S. history. In the mid 1990’s, Island Fox populations started to decline and in 2004 they were added to
Originally from Detroit, Barbara Dane's rich voice resonated with a sense of purpose that was a holdover from the singing she would provide at protests and union events. She performs once again in L.A. where many of her pivotal moments in music occurred.
- 1 of 327
- next ›