Ski Resorts Fired up with News of Anticipated Winter Storms | KCET
Ski Resorts Fired up with News of Anticipated Winter Storms
A perusal of ski resort Facebook pages up and down the state are showing some common ground: pure excitement and an adulation for the weather gods. That's because this season, already a quarter over and a total bummer for those wanting to hit the slopes on fresh powder, might be finally turning around.
"The Christmas-New Year's holiday was a dud, and the outlook for the three-day holiday weekend for January 14-16 is bleak" Tom Stienstra wrote with prescience at the beginning of this month on the San Francisco Chronicle's Slope Dope blog. "Most resorts are pulling everything but rabbits out of their hats to try and entice people up to their mountains."
But there was some buzz that a storm was brewing later this month, and by all recent predictions, it's coming Thursday night, according to the National Weather Service. And that's why ski resorts are making some moves -- snow dances to be exact:
- "Did you hear? There's snow in this week's forecast! The snow dances are working - don't stop now!" ~ Ski Lake Tahoe
- "OMG...they are actually calling for snow this weekend. Bring it on !!!" ~ Rim Nordic Ski Area in the San Bernardino Mountains
- "How does 60" of fresh sound?" ~ Mammoth Mountain, referring to Howard Sheckter's Mammoth Weather report
- "It looks like there is a light at the end of the tunnel... Do your snow dances!!!" ~ June Mountain (near Mammoth)
- "Looks like our snow dances are working. Big snow is coming..." ~ Lake Tahoe Visitors Authority
While many resorts have been able to rely on reservoirs for snow-making, some ski areas lacking that infrastructure like Rim Nordic near Big Bear or Badger Pass in Yosemite National Park have yet to open. But if all that snow dancing actually works, they just might open over the next several days.
Founded in 1991, the Hollywood Farmers’ Market started as a way to improve the quality of life in Hollywood for residents and businesses alike. At the time, farmers markets were a new concept in the city, only about ten existed.
- 1 of 317
- next ›