Video: Paddleboarding is Making a Comeback | KCET
Video: Paddleboarding is Making a Comeback
When this blog launched in April, we set out to share outdoor opportunities in and around Southern California. It was an exciting success from the get-go so we decided test the waters and expand it through online video. Please enjoy our second episode of SoCal Wanderer, featuring Jacob Soboroff!
Step onto a beach in California and you're likely to see stand up paddleboarding in action. Several years ago this may have not been a common sight, but today the sport is reaching new highs in popularity.
History/Photos: Paddleboarding, Southern California's Lost Sport
Episode 1: Walking the 'Secret Stairs' of Los Angeles
What impressed me was the diversity of participants--from ages 9 and into their 70s--and how paddleboarding was once a major activity in Southern California decades ago, only to be taken over by surfing.
With the SoCal Wanderer video series, I hope to share with you activities that are doable. I do not recommend jumping on a paddleboard for the first time ever at a race, but to get you started, below are several options around Southern California. Enjoy your time on the water!
- Santa Monica: ZJ Boarding House (rentals only)
- Malibu: Malibu Surf Shack (rentals, lessons)
- Venice: Poseidon (rentals, lessons)
- Marina del Rey: Action Watersports (rentals, lessons)
- San Pedro: Captain Kirk's (rentals, lessons)
- Ventura County: VC SUP & Paddlesurf Outlet (rentals, lessons)
- Orange County: Paddlesurf Warehouse (rentals, lessons)
- Santa Barbara County: SUP Adventures (rentals, lessons)
- Santa Barbara County: Channel Islands Outfitters (tours with lessons)
- San Luis Obispo County: SLO Coast Kayaks (rentals, lessons, tours)
Mexican food has been getting a lot of attention in the United States, which has Mexican chefs trying their luck at opening restaurants across the border. But they soon find out it's not as easy to find success north of the border.
- 1 of 328
- next ›