Video: Paddleboarding is Making a Comeback | KCET
Video: Paddleboarding is Making a Comeback
When this blog launched in April, we set out to share outdoor opportunities in and around Southern California. It was an exciting success from the get-go so we decided test the waters and expand it through online video. Please enjoy our second episode of SoCal Wanderer, featuring Jacob Soboroff!
Step onto a beach in California and you're likely to see stand up paddleboarding in action. Several years ago this may have not been a common sight, but today the sport is reaching new highs in popularity.
History/Photos: Paddleboarding, Southern California's Lost Sport
Episode 1: Walking the 'Secret Stairs' of Los Angeles
What impressed me was the diversity of participants--from ages 9 and into their 70s--and how paddleboarding was once a major activity in Southern California decades ago, only to be taken over by surfing.
With the SoCal Wanderer video series, I hope to share with you activities that are doable. I do not recommend jumping on a paddleboard for the first time ever at a race, but to get you started, below are several options around Southern California. Enjoy your time on the water!
- Santa Monica: ZJ Boarding House (rentals only)
- Malibu: Malibu Surf Shack (rentals, lessons)
- Venice: Poseidon (rentals, lessons)
- Marina del Rey: Action Watersports (rentals, lessons)
- San Pedro: Captain Kirk's (rentals, lessons)
- Ventura County: VC SUP & Paddlesurf Outlet (rentals, lessons)
- Orange County: Paddlesurf Warehouse (rentals, lessons)
- Santa Barbara County: SUP Adventures (rentals, lessons)
- Santa Barbara County: Channel Islands Outfitters (tours with lessons)
- San Luis Obispo County: SLO Coast Kayaks (rentals, lessons, tours)