Now Screening Online: 'Classic Cool Theater' | KCET
Now Screening Online: 'Classic Cool Theater'
Every Saturday night for the past few weeks, KCET has been airing "Classic Cool Theater," a unique film package that offers not just a feature presentation but also a vintage cartoon, newsreel and musical number. The result? A peek into the past that offers a little more context than just a film by itself. Starting this week, KCET is also posting the past Saturday's "Classic Cool Theater" online, and you can enjoy the feature presentation -- this week's was the Orson Welles thriller "The Stranger" -- as well as the cartoon, newsreel and musical number. Watch them all. Or just watch the segment that appeals most to you. Either way, you can now enjoy it from the comfort of your office cubicle.
Here are this week's 'Classic Cool Theater' offerings:
- the 1946 film "The Stranger"
- Louis Armstrong and his orchestra performing "I'll Be Glad When You're Dead (You Rascal, You)"
- the classic Popeye cartoon "Gopher Spinach"
- a newsreel detailing the exploits of a waterskiing elephant
- And the weekly Classic Cool Theater bonus feature, "Classic Cool Context," which takes a look at what the United States, California and Los Angeles were like when the movie of the week first hit theaters
If watching birds just isn’t enough for you — and you’d rather join their ranks up there in the sky — here are five of the most exciting ways to get airborne and pretend for a while that you may actually have wings.
We may not have elected a woman president in 2016, but more and more women are gracing the podium and the stage in classical opera. Here are a few stellar examples and what obstacles they faced to get where they are.