Screening Now Online: 'Stage Door Canteen' | KCET
Screening Now Online: 'Stage Door Canteen'
Hey, do you enjoy Hollywood stars from the 1940s? Well, you may be interested to know that last Saturday's Classic Cool Theater feature, "Stage Door Canteen," features all of them.
Katharine Hepburn leads a cast that includes Harpo Marx, Tallulah Bankhead, Jack Benny, Ray Bolger, Gracie Fields, Gypsy Rose Lee, Ethel Merman, Ethel Waters Ed Wynn, Count Basie, Xavier Cugat, Benny Goodman, Peggy Lee and yet even more famous faces from back in the day. It's a who's-who of World War II-era performers, and that's fitting, because "Stage Door Canteen" is a tribute to the days of the star-studded shows that once entertained WWII troops.
Hit the links below to check out all the segments of this Classic Cool Theater package!
- Click here to read Aaron Schrank's column on the history behind the real-life Stage Door Canteen and the movie it inspired.
- Click here to watch the feature presentation of "Stage Door Canteen"
- Click here to watch this week's cartoon, the classic Superman short "Secret Agent"
- Click here to listen to the Andrews Sisters singing "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree"
- And click here to watch a newsreel about the real-life Stage Door Canteen and Hollywood Canteen
If watching birds just isn’t enough for you — and you’d rather join their ranks up there in the sky — here are five of the most exciting ways to get airborne and pretend for a while that you may actually have wings.
We may not have elected a woman president in 2016, but more and more women are gracing the podium and the stage in classical opera. Here are a few stellar examples and what obstacles they faced to get where they are.