Screening Now Online: 'Stage Door Canteen' | KCET
Screening Now Online: 'Stage Door Canteen'
Hey, do you enjoy Hollywood stars from the 1940s? Well, you may be interested to know that last Saturday's Classic Cool Theater feature, "Stage Door Canteen," features all of them.
Katharine Hepburn leads a cast that includes Harpo Marx, Tallulah Bankhead, Jack Benny, Ray Bolger, Gracie Fields, Gypsy Rose Lee, Ethel Merman, Ethel Waters Ed Wynn, Count Basie, Xavier Cugat, Benny Goodman, Peggy Lee and yet even more famous faces from back in the day. It's a who's-who of World War II-era performers, and that's fitting, because "Stage Door Canteen" is a tribute to the days of the star-studded shows that once entertained WWII troops.
Hit the links below to check out all the segments of this Classic Cool Theater package!
- Click here to read Aaron Schrank's column on the history behind the real-life Stage Door Canteen and the movie it inspired.
- Click here to watch the feature presentation of "Stage Door Canteen"
- Click here to watch this week's cartoon, the classic Superman short "Secret Agent"
- Click here to listen to the Andrews Sisters singing "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree"
- And click here to watch a newsreel about the real-life Stage Door Canteen and Hollywood Canteen
Huell investigates a onetime tradition, the Yosemite Firefall, and experiences the natural version of the "Firefall" at Horsetail Fall. Huell calls it "one of the most magnificent sights you'll ever see in your life."
Deportations, Assassinations, and Dictator Nations: A Timeline of U.S. Intervention in Latin America