Weekend Recipe: Joe Booker Stew (Beef Stew with Dumplings) | KCET
Weekend Recipe: Joe Booker Stew (Beef Stew with Dumplings)
Joe Booker Stew (Beef Stew with Dumplings)
Serves 6 to 8
8 ounces salt pork, quartered
3 pound boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 onions, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups low-sodium beef broth
4 cups water
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1 1/2 pounds rutabaga (or parsnip or turnip), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
2 cups all-purpose flour
5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1. MICROWAVE PORK Place salt pork in bowl and microwave until fat renders and pork is golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Pour off fat, reserving 2 tablespoons (if you have less, supplement with vegetable oil). When pork is cool enough to handle, rinse under running water to remove excess salt. Set aside.
2. BROWN BEEF Pat beef dry with paper towels and season with pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons reserved pork fat in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook half of beef until well browned all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer to bowl and repeat with additional 2 teaspoons pork fat and remaining beef. Add remaining pork fat and onion to empty pot and cook until golden brown, about 5 -minutes. Stir in flour and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
3. SIMMER STEW Return beef and any accumulated juices to pot. Stir in broth, water, thyme, and rinsed salt pork and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until meat is nearly tender, about 1 hour. Remove and discard salt pork. Add potatoes, rutabaga, and carrots to pot and continue to simmer, covered, until vegetables are just tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
4. MAKE DUMPLINGS When vegetables are nearly tender, combine flour, baking powder, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in large bowl. Combine milk and butter in liquid measuring cup and microwave, stirring once or twice, until butter melts, about 1 minute. Stir warm milk mixture into flour mixture until incorporated.
5. STEAM DUMPLINGS Once vegetables are tender, use small ice cream scoop or 2 large spoons to drop golf ball-size dumplings (about 2 tablespoons) into stew (you should have about 15 dumplings). Simmer gently, covered, until dumplings have doubled in size and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes. Serve.
MAKE AHEAD: The stew can be made through step 3, covered, and refrigerated for 3 days. To serve, bring stew to simmer and proceed with step 4.
Want recipes and food news emailed directly to you? Sign up for the new Food newsletter here!
Three City Council members filed a motion today to cut the Los Angeles Police Department's budget by $100 million to $150 million for the 2020-2021 fiscal year.
While protests against police brutality continued to dominate headlines, Los Angeles County reported more than 40 additional deaths today due to the coronavirus, while the number of cases topped 58,000.
The 1992 Los Angeles Uprising was the nation’s first multiethnic urban riot, one that points to the complexities of policing in a city of different racial and ethnic groups.
Despite being overshadowed by a week of protests against police brutality, the coronavirus continued to claim lives in Los Angeles County, with health officials today announcing 60 new deaths and 1,202 new confirmed COVID-19 cases.
- 1 of 295
- next ›