El Jardin’s Pozole Rojo | KCET
El Jardin’s Pozole Rojo
A well-loved dish, El Jardin's pozole rojo recipe bears the flavors of Mexico with surprising tastes outside the country's borders.
2 lbs pork shoulder, cubed
1 lb pig’s feet or stock bones
2 yellow onions cut in half Yellow onion
8 cloves of garlic
2 kombu leaves
3 fresh bay leaves
2 lbs. nixtamalized corn or hominy Chile paste
5 ancho chilies
4 cloves of garlic
3 sprigs of oregano
2 fresh avocado leaves
½ cup of bonito flakes
sea salt to taste
More Migrant Kitchen Recipes
1. Add all stock ingredients into a 2 gallon stock pot. Cover everything with cold water and heat on medium.
2. Char onions and garlic cloves in a dry pan or if you have gas directly over the flame using tongs to not burn yourself.
3. Deseed chilies and cover with hot water until soft.
4. Blend all chile paste ingredients including the chile water until a smooth paste .
5. Run paste through strainer to ensure chile skins are strained.
6. Add chile paste to pork stock, turn heat on low for 4 hours.
7. Remove pig feet and save the skin, thinly slice and add toss with half a lime.
8. Season pozole to taste with sea salt
For garnish, use thinly sliced radishes, lettuce sliced thinly, lime wedges, oregano and reserved pig feet skin
Top Image: El Jardin's Pozole Rojo | Still from "The Migrant Kitchen" El Jardin
KCET Food Newsletter Signup
Vanishing species, rising sea levels, devastating floods, and droughts are only some of the symptoms of a rapidly changing natural world. We explore 5 surprising ways people are reacting to environmental changes.
Thinking of camping upstate in 2019? Consider these stunning options.
Learn how to prepare Spicy Mexican Southern Fried Chicken from "Pati's Mexican Table."
KCET is producing more original content than ever before. Here are a few must-see highlights from the year in KCET Originals.
- 1 of 118
- next ›